Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brisbane floods coverage and chocolate billboards

Screen shot taken from ABC website
I'll be following http://noisydecentgraphics.typepad.com/ this semester. A really interesting post I found was about how the Australian Broadcasting Corporation handled their coverage of the Brisbane floods. They used these really neat mouse over photos that showed the before and after stages of the flood. As a former information graphics geek at the Missourian, I thought this was a really efficient way to show the public the effects of the flood. I do think they should have included a little more information with the photos like how much time elapsed between the two and other damage statistics, but visually I think this was an excellent way to present the floods.

Photo via ibelieveinadv
Another interesting design I found was an instillation piece. This 'chocolate' billboard takes content driven design to a whole new level! As part of their roundup of 42 Unique billboards that push the advertising envelope, TREND HUNTER included this billboard in Toronto. I think whoever designed this did a great job at thinking outside the box. Instead of using a photo and the sense of sight to lure in potential consumers, Cadbury is sort of appealing to the sense of touch.

5 comments:

  1. I like the billboard. Sometimes I feel like billboards of some of the worst designed things, so it's nice to see one that's well designed.

    I think you're right about needing information about the roll-overs, but that also might be something that a reader of that news outlet would already know, so they didn't feel it was as pertinent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that chocolate billboard. It totally thinks outside the box. I love advertising that is unique and actually inspiring. Congrats on your cover this week also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chocolate billboard is insane (and it's making me hungry!). It blurs the line between installation art and advertising in an incredibly compelling way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great billboard idea! I think this is the first billboard ad I've seen in a while that really makes me want the product. Then again, I always want chocolate. :) I think that designing for ads in particular is more well done when it appears active to viewers. Here you can see the people peeling the wrapping back and pulling off the cover, which I think is the best sell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's things like this billboard that makes me wish the Strat Comm wing of the J-school wasn't cut off for all other journalism students. I was in the last class to take Strat Design and Visuals I, and I took SDVII last semester, and crossing over to the dark side for a little while is one of the best ways to get creative juices flowing. Where at Vox in the fall, Theresa and I were the wacky ones, in SDVII, I was the grounded, literal one. Although we probably shouldn't always be as fast-and-loose as our advertising counterparts, it is definitely helpful to let go of all restrictions just to see where your creativity and imagination can lead you.

    ReplyDelete