Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Typographic bike racks and crazy cool architecture

Typographic bike racks
I loved this post on Noisy Decent Graphics. These typographic bike racks made by Cylclehoop are such an interesting design solution to something that can be quite an eye sore. They actually have a whole slew of design solutions for bike racks, but because I love typography so much, these are my favorite. With all the bike traffic in Columbia, I think these bike racks would be a pretty cool addition. The only critique that I have of the racks is I'm not sure they could house as many bikes as a traditional bike rack...but they are prettier so maybe it doesn't matter.


Crazy cool architecture
I found this really innovative architecture on the nummy nims blog. This furniture company in Germany called vitra came out with a home collection, but didn't have anywhere to showcase it, so they commissioned architects Herzog & De Meuron to build a new home, called the "vitrahaus.' Here is what they came up with...

Photo by Ian Waan

Photo by Ian Waan

image © designboom

I like how it looks like a bunch of houses stacked on top of each other; it really does represent the home collection.

2 comments:

  1. Those bike racks are so cool! As a frequent user of those contraptions, anything to make them more interesting is always appreciated. My only hesitation is that they might be hard to lock your bike to... And you're right, it probably wouldn't hold as many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That architecture is awesome. It's insane that architects and engineers can dream up and actually do that kind of stuff. I wonder what it would be like to live in a crazy house like those.

    ReplyDelete