Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Free typography and an interesting logo debate

Free typography
One thing I notice every week is how darn difficult it can be to pick the perfect font for a design project. I literally have spent hours upon hours wading through the sea that is typography, and I found a great resource I'd like to share. Free Typography is a magazine/blog that posts really awesome free fonts to add to your collection. There are links to download the free font files; I think it should be added to the dafont.com and 1001 free font sites as the go-to sites for fun fonts. (I'm saying font so much I'm getting tongue twisted!)

 


Here is a handwritten font I found. It's funny because we had debates last semester about which handwritten fonts were played out, so I think sites like these help you to find new, fresh fonts.

An interesting logo debate
Since we still have that logo project to work on (yes, bring it back to the front burner), I thought this was an interesting debate. Some people are in favor of retiring the black and white logo in favor for colored logos. Some arguments include...

Pro B&W
  • Companies might still print items in black and white.
  • If a logo works in black and white, it's bound to work in color.
  • It's cheaper
Pro retiring B&W
  • It's rare to see things printed in black and white these days; everything is in color.
  • Many companies are online now, where color would flourish.
  • It doesn't affect the quality.
Check out the link and more arguments, and let me know what you think!

(I think I'm in favor of keeping them around for a little for a little longer because they're classic, and logos don't always have to be wildly spruced up all the time.)

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm definitely pro keeping B&W logos around. I design a lot of flyers for non-profit organizations that don't usually have a very large printing budget. Instead, they rely on printing on colored paper. I always have to consider what my design will look like in black and white as well. I think that even large companies should at least consider how their logo will look in black and white, because you never know how your logo will be used once it's available to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the main thing with logos is they should work well in black and white even if the original design is meant for color. With the amount of non-print exposure logos get (like on Web sites) it seems silly to just have something only in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends on the company and what they are trying to accomplish. There are ways to make a black and white logo look really sleek and awesome that color would sometimes take away from that.

    ReplyDelete