Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Penguin phone covers & Stress Tips

Penguin iPhone Case
My manager recently got the most adorable iPhone case I've ever seen. It turns her phone into a penguin!


I love it! It makes me wish I had an iPhone. If you do, and you love it as much as I do, you can get it on Amazon.

Stress Tips from Ben
I know we are in the home stretch, and with getting our print editions finalized, working on iPad designs and putting together our many portfolios, our lives can be pretty stressful. Ben from Noisy Decent Graphics has some pretty good advice on how to stay positive about your workload. Here are some highlights (directly from his post):

1. Work when you work best
I'm a morning person 100%. I could get up at 5am every day and be very happy. At the other end of the day by 10pm I'm ready for bed. I've fallen asleep in every pub and every house party I've ever been too.

So working late never works for me. Very quickly diminishing returns set in. If I have loads of work to do I go to bed early and set the alarm for 5am. And you know what? I get more done, at a quicker pace than I would have done in the evening. That's partly because of the ever approaching deadline of the day starting, but it's also because your brain is alert and you can make better decisions, faster.

3. Don't do everything on your to do list
A big moment came in my life about 5 years ago. I used to regularly write To Do lists for each day. I never managed to get to the bottom of the list. If there was 10 things to to I'd manage 7. But then I realised that was OK. Not everything gets done. That's life. And that was one of the most liberating experiences of my working life.

Now I write a To Do list with the most important at the top (note NOT the most urgent). They get done first. And if the stuff and the bottom doesn't get done. It doesn't get carried over. It doesn't get done. You soon find yourself putting all the silly 'nice to have' things in the bottom bit and that's like therapy, getting them all out of your head. But then you find yourself writing shorter and shorter to do lists. Which is kind of the goal.

Make sure to check out his blog for other tips!

2 comments:

  1. 1. I love penguins and I want an iPhone just so I can have this.
    2. I am NOT a morning person and I can't recall when I have ever completed my entire to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To-do lists have saved my life more than once, especially when I have so much to do that I can't keep it all straight. I tend to make them for an entire week instead of a day in the order that the come into my mind (which is usually by order of due date and importance), then none of the little, but necessary, things slip through. But it's always a relief to be able to physically cross something off.

    ReplyDelete